Mitrophanov Vladimir Petrovich, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, sub-department of general history,
historiography and archaeology, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. In the Russian historiography of the agrarian history of England during the late Middle Ages there is a number of significant researches. These include the monographs and articles by A. Savin, S. Archangelsky, V. Semenov, V. Shtokmar, M. Vinokurova etc. The interest in farming especially clearly manifested itself in the second half of the 20-th century. However, the published sources on the farms of the 16th and 17th centuries are not adequately reflected in the pages of scientific works. The aim of this paper is to examine the works of Russian authors on the agrarian history of England and to determine the degree of development of farming in the history during the period of XVI – first half of XVII century, as well as to identify the existing points of view and approaches.
Materials and methods. The research results were achieved through application of the dialectical method of cognition of historical processes, which incorporates the principles of Historicism, objectivity and consistency that have allowed to identify the substantive side of the question, points of view and scientific approaches of Russian historians in the study of the history of English farming of XVI – first half of XVII century.
Results. Studying of works on the agrarian history of England of the XVI–XVIII centuries by Russian historians showed that they achieved considerable progress in research of many questions of the agrarian history of England of this period, but the history of early farming is still insufficiently studied regarding local materials (diaries, expenses books of certain farmers, other sources), and the English kingdom in whole.
Conclusions. In the Russian historiography of the history of English farming of the 16-th – mid-17-th century the scientists partly researched the question of farmers’ participation in the process of enclosures and, to a lesser extent, examined their economic activities on the base of local materials. Poorly studied is the dynamics of distribution of farms across the country in the period of XVI – first half of the XVII century, transformation of feudal lines, participation of farms as producers of agricultural products in the food market and some other issues of their business activities and daily life.
1. Savin A. N. Angliyskaya derevnya v epokhu Tyudorov [The English village in the age of Tudors]. Moscow: I. N. Kushnerev i K°, 1903, 485 p.
2. Savin A. N. Lektsii po istorii Angliyskoy revolyutsii [Lectures on the English revolution history]. Moscow: Kraft +, 2000, 536 p.
3. Granat I. K. K voprosu ob obezzemelivanii krest'yanstva v Anglii [On the issue of dispossession of peasants’ lands in England]. Moscow: I. N. Kushnarev i K°, 1908, 319 p.
4. Popov-Lenskiy I. L. Uchenye zapiski RANION [Proceedings of the Russian association of research institutes of social sciences]. Moscow: Institut istorii, 1929, vol. 3, pp. 294–305.
5. Lavrovskiy V. M. Parlamentskie ogorazhivaniya obshchinnykh zemel' v Anglii kontsa XVIII – nachala XIX vv. [Parliament’s enclosures of communal lands in England in the late XVIII – early XIX centuries]. Moscow: Nauka, 1940, 472 p.
6. Semenov V. F. Ogorazhivaniya i krest'yanskie dvizheniya v Anglii 16-go veka. Iz istorii obezzemelivaniya krest'yan [Enclosures and peasants’ movements in England in 16th century. From the history of peasants’ lands dispossession]. Moscow: AN SSSR, 1949, 372 p.
7. Semenov V. Φ. Genezis kapitalizma v promyshlennosti i sel'skom khozyaystve [Genesis of capitalism in industrial and agricultural economy]. Moscow: Nauka, 1965, pp. 52–84.
8. Lavrovskiy V. M. Problema issledovaniya zemel'noy sobstvennosti v Anglii XVII–XVIII vv. [Problem land property research in England in XVII–XVIII centuries]. Moscow: AN SSSR, 1958, 179 p.
9. Lavrovskiy V. M. Issledovanie po agrarnoy istorii Anglii XVII–XIX vv. [Research of English agrarian history in XVII–XIX centuries]. Moscow: Nauka, 1966, 256 p.
10. Arkhangel'skiy S. I. Krest'yanskoe dvizhenie v Anglii v 40–50-kh godakh XVII veka [Peasant movement in England in 40s-50s of the XVII century]. Moscow: AN SSSR, 1960, 355 p.
11. Semenov V. F. Uchenye zapiski № 294. Problemy ekonomicheskogo i politicheskogo razvitiya stran Evropy v srednie veka i antichnuyu epokhu [Proceedings № 294. Problems of economic and political development of Europe during the Middle Ages and Antiquity]. Moscow: MGPI, 1969, pp. 6–23.
12. Shtokmar V. V. Istoriya krest'yanstva v Evrope. Epokha feodalizma [History of peasantry in Europe. The age of feudalism]. Moscow: Nauka, 1986, vol. 3, pp. 32–63.
13. Vinokurova M. V. Istoriya Evropy [History of Europe]. Moscow: Nauka, 1993, vol. 3. From Middle Ages to Modern Age (late XV – early XVII centuries), pp. 40–47.
14. Vsemirnaya istoriya: v 6 t. [World history: in 6 volumes]. Ed. V. A. Vedyushkin, M. A. Yusim. Moscow: Nauka, 2013, vol. 3. World in the early Modern Age, 854 p.
15. Vinokurova M. V. Mir angliyskogo manora. Po zemel'nym opisyam Lankashira i Uiltshira vtoroy poloviny XVI – nachala XVII v. [World of English manor. Based on inventories of Lancashire and Wiltshire of the second part of XVI – early XVII centuries]. Moscow: Nauka, 2004, 493 p.
16. Mitrofanov V. P. Krest'yane i gosudarstvo v Anglii vtoroy poloviny XVI – pervoy treti XVII vekov [Peasants and the state in England in second part of XVI – first third of XVII centuries].Nizhny Novgorod:NNGU, 2000,204p.
17. Mitrofanov V. P. Krest'yane i gosudarstvo v Anglii (1550–1640 gg.). Sotsial'no-ekonomicheskaya istoriya, agrarnaya politika Tyudorov i Styuartov [Peasants and the state in England (1550–1640). Socioeconomic history, agrarian policy of Tudors and Stuards]. Saarbucken: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2011, 368 p.
18. Shabaev A. N. Praktika khozyaystvovaniya angliyskikh fermerov pervoy poloviny XVII veka (po raskhodnym knigam i dnevnikam yugo-vostochnykh, tsentral'nykh i severnykh grafstv): dis. kand. ist. nauk [Management practice of English farmers in the first half of XVII century (on the basis of housekeeping books and diaries of southeastern, central and north counties): dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of historical sciences]. Penza, 2012, 173 p.
19. Shabaev A. N. Izvestiya PGPU im. V. G. Belinskogo. Gumanitarnye nauki [Proceedings of PSPU named after V. G. Belinsky. Humanities]. 2011, no. 23, pp. 613–616.
20. Shabaev A. N. Izvestiya PGPU im. V. G. Belinskogo. Gumanitarnye nauki [Proceedings of PSPU named after V. G. Belinsky. Humanities]. 2012, no. 27, pp. 1098–1103.
21. Shabaev A. N. Izvestiya PGPU im. V. G. Belinskogo. Gumanitarnye nauki [Proceedings of PSPU named after V. G. Belinsky. Humanities]. 2012, no. 27, pp. 1103–1108.
22. Mitrofanov V. P. Evropa: aktual'nye problemy etnokul'tury: materialy VII mezhdunar. nauch.-teoret. konf. (g. Minsk, 21 yanvarya 2013 g.) [Europe: topical problems of ethnic culture: proceedings of VII International scientific and theoretical conference (Minsk, 21 January 2013)]. Minsk: MGPTK poligrafii, 2014, pp. 20–22.